Update on home building

 We finally got around to update our website. We have been keeping ourselves very busy with building this house and doing volunteer work for the local airshow committee here in Peace River. Nevertheless, here are few pics of our progress. Head to our Facebook page to see more pics. Ben will get around to add more details of the build on the website, so check back shortly for the next post!


Please follow and like us:

Norman Wells Update – Good Paddling & Hot Weather

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /homepages/20/d164348398/htdocs/vicki/wp-content/plugins/lightbox-gallery/lightbox-gallery.php on line 570

The plan to update the blog in Wrigley did not quite work to plan. We did not have the opportunity in the town so pushed on, all the way to Norman Wells, bypassing Tulita (Fort Norman) in the process as the weather convinced us to hurry.

The travel since Fort Simpson and the joining of the Liard River has been good. The Mackenzie River is fast and the camping sites have been getting better as we travel further North. Initially, we were a little worried because the sides were steep and rocky, but since the Liard the shores are predominantly sandy on the left (South/West) and rocky to the right (North/East).

Our thanks to Diane and Tom Thomson in (at the time) Fort Simpson, who let us use their internet (the library’s internet not working), shared some great stories with us and gave us some snacks which came in handy over the next few days of longer distances. The terrain has changed, with us now into the Mackenzie Mountains which are spectacular. It was great to paddle towards them throughout the day and watch them gain definition through the heat-shimmer across the water and the heat-haze in the air. A sandy beach at the outpouring of the North Nahanni River between the Nahanni Mountain and the Camsell Range provided us with our first campsite along this beautiful stretch of water. Whilst the weather has been predominantly hot, the nights are cooler, and in Norman Wells, we have seen the first yellow leaves on trees – Autumn/Fall is on the way!

The weather has been uniformly hot with clear skies, though there are regularly strong gusts of wind from the North and very notable exceptions to the good weather. The insects have lessened which is a relief after the Slave River with us not being hounded morning, noon and night by the little critters. We can now enjoy the paddling that little bit more. We have seen thunderstorms though almost never on the river itself. Last night in Norman Wells being the exception. Camped on the shoreline a huge storm moved in and for a time I was considering the possibility that the tipi or canoe would be washed into the river. There was so much water pouring down the slope that the entire shore was a sheet of water, channels opening up in the now thick, deep mud, even under our tipi. The inner-tent floor turns out to not be as water-proof as we would have hoped, the zippers leaking water and having us pack everything into dry-bags, just in case. I had to get out in the storm to dig channels around the tipi so that the water would run either side of us as much as possible and not underneath, causing us more problems. A real test of equipment, with a solo-paddler`s tent set up on the beach being flattened by the wind it was so strong, and with help he was quickly moved further up the shore with his gear by another camper and myself.

We have been moving faster as planned, with us averaging 50km per day. We also wanted to – just once – break the 100km mark and paddle into 3 digits in one day. This we did to get to Norman Wells, travelling 102km in 10hrs – a long day and surprisingly, not as tough as we imagined with us fuelled by coffee and good weather, hearing risk of thunderstorm on the radio which had us paddling that little bit faster! Even though we are travelling bigger distances, we are usually finished paddling before 5pm which allows us to enjoy our evening, swimming in the river after the hot day`s paddle to cool and refresh us.

We continue to see wildfires, and spent 2 days paddling past one on the Western shore. On the 22nd July we were camped on a large island in the middle of the river called McGern Island, a sandy beach provided a great campsite and across the water a wildfire raged, pluming smoke into the sky and across the sun, presenting a stunning sunset. It was with this backdrop that I asked Vicki to marry me – and of course, how could she refuse with such a romantic scene? Our experience over the past 3 months has shown me we make a great team.

We had an interview in CBC North which was fun. I called in from Wrigley and spoke with Joselyn Oosenbrug, host of `The Trailbreaker` which made me a little nervous (first time on the air) but was fun. Unfortunately, we were out of radio range for the next few days so never heard it on the radio. One of the questions I was asked was about the wildlife – of which we have seen very little since leaving the Jasper area. Not 3 days later we have had moose walking around our tipi, black bears on either side of the river, with us filming a cub playing in the water and on the shore for a long time, as well as porcupine. The last week has been one of the best of the entire trip.

We have been seeing other paddlers as we travel, one a red canoe with family, one a yellow canoe with solo traveller though we have been passing each other at different times and have not had the opportunity to speak, constantly just missing each other. That changed after we arrived in Norman Wells as we have all met through coincidence and camped upon the shore. The family is Dan and Alice with 2 children which is great to see, and we spent a most enjoyable evening exchanging stories and laughing long into the night, the sun almost rising again by the time we each turned in to our respective homes. The next day Brian arrived, though just minutes before the storm broke so a prospective story-telling group around the campfire never materialised much to our dismay. It is interesting that we are all travelling in a similar way though through very different means, goals and aspirations. Dan and Alice are with their children, and so started in the town of Jasper and have avoided the rapids, etc., that would be too much a danger with so precious a cargo. They are, however, much better provisioned with food and very kindly gave us the extra they could not fit in their boat. Brian has been equipped by an outfitter and started in Hay River, unfortunately because of his time scale no longer able to reach Inuvik, and finishing at Fort Good Hope, a few days from here.

Norman Wells is a town that has suprised us, certainly embracing more the oil that provides the town with its subsistence for the most part. This is contrary to Fort Mcmurray, which seems to wish to hide the large refineries from its populace. Norman Wells is a much, much smaller town (800 people compared with 77,000) and is most hospitable. Alasdair Veitch, the head of tourism in the area had heard us on the radio talking about our adventure and saw us walking through the town. He has been extremely helpful (thanks Alasdair!), giving us the grand tour of the town and surrounding area, and taking us to where we can wash our clothes, have a much needed shower (especially after 100km the day we arrived) and taking us to a cafe where the burgers were great. We had heard of them from a guy in Jasper and it lived up to the hype. Very good and again, most welcome! We were also taken to the Royal Legion (Canol Branch) – the towns bar – where we could use the internet and have a nice cold beer. The museum is also fascinating with a varied history presented as well as modern arts and culture on display. Everything from the Canol Project (a WWII grand venture of building roads and pipelines across the North to support the war effort), the oil industry and geological make-up of the area, as well as Native arts and traditions displayed. The craftwork and arts on display in the museum really are amazing. The quality of craftsmanship fantastic and a real pleasure to see.

Our plan now is to move towards Fort Good Hope, from where our next update will be from.

Please follow and like us:

Photo: Fort Chipewyan – Fort Providence

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /homepages/20/d164348398/htdocs/vicki/wp-content/plugins/lightbox-gallery/lightbox-gallery.php on line 570

Please follow and like us:

Stage II Completed – Thunderstorms, Repairs & The Crossing of Lake Athabasca

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /homepages/20/d164348398/htdocs/vicki/wp-content/plugins/lightbox-gallery/lightbox-gallery.php on line 570

Leaving Fort McMurray, the river has changed demeanor completely. No longer is it the fast water through limestone canyons, but is slow, and meandering along its way to Lake Athabasca between islands and shallows. We were surprised at Fort McMurray, we had expected to see big industry and had seen none, only a clean, very wealthy town. This soon changed as we paddled on however, and soon we saw the true picture of oilsands appear. A few km down river we began to see huge swathes of bare earth with machinery constantly on the move. Beyond this, we then saw the refinery. It is something else. The constant sound of guns (sounds like cannon) being used to deter birds from landing in vast waste pools, huge earth moving vehicles and trucks constantly on the move, with the background hiss of the chimneys and towers which they burn the natural gas they do not use, some spitting flame, others a constant high-heat blue, and many large chimney stacks billowing smoke and steam. It is shocking. I have a car, and see the need for oil in our day to day lives, but there must be a cleaner way to extract and use it. Little wonder then that the Athabasca River is a National Heritage River. But only in Jasper National Park. After this, it is apparently not worthy of Heritage status which is a shame as it is a beautiful river, and rich in history.

We have been caught in some bad weather, in one instant we were paddling hard to keep ahead of a thunderstorm which began rumbling behind us. We did the best we could, paddling for almost 10km hoping and thinking it was moving to the West until thunder sounded all around us, lightning striking the ground on the land ahead of us, which was the only direction we saw with clearer skies. On the river was not a good place to be. We stopped at the first viable site we could find; a small patch of earth on the edge of an island otherwise covered in dense, small willow bushes. Finding the earth to be more like clay than sand helped us a great deal, holding our pegs and storm-cords for the tipi down tight. It took only a few minutes to put up, but felt much longer in driving rain, howling winds and crashes of thunder, seeing lightning strikes twice more before we had finished. The three of us went inside and spent almost the next 2hrs waiting for the storm to end. The thought that our centre-pole for the tipi is made of metal and was the tallest thing around did cross my mind once or twice, especially as the thunderclaps began directly above us, sounding as though they then rolled around the tipi and across all horizons. An amazing experience.

Our progress is slow on the river, with there beuing barely any currrent it is hard for us to move any faster than around 5km/hr, meaning we paddle for around 7hrs a day. Its certainly showing in our muscles!  We met a tug-boat pushing a couple of platforms upriver with cargo on which was fascinating to watch as it had 2 guys in a motor boat out in front poling the river, finding the route so that the much larger boat could come through. Even our canoe has touched the bottom of the river in places so we know how shallow areas can be, it must take them such a long time to get anywhere, and they must be skilled to move it around. We were impressed. We also were told that the insects that had plagued us before were perhaps Dragonfly. I love them as adults, but it makes it no less horrible when they infested the tipi if correct. We are unsure what they are, however, but will put some pictures up of them so if anyone knows, please tell us! 

We have also had our first major repairs. I have been progressively reducing the amount of fabric in my waterproof jacket by using the campfire to put what I like call ‘ventilation holes’ in it. It hasn’t helped in the rain! We have also burnt holes in our dry-bags, the tipi, our camp chairs (we bought some cheap ones from Zellers in Fort McMurray) – actually it was Vicki’s chair not mine, but as it may have been indirectly and completely my fault, is now my chair. I like to think of these as ventilation holes. These were all patched easily. The major repair has been the canoe. It appears that rubbing along the sides of the canoe (I think it was the limestone ledges before and just after Fort McMurray) has worn where the aluminium poles run along the outer length of the middle of the canoe, causing it tear. In most places, I have just reinforced the areas to prevent any tears or future wear, but in one spot we had a tear that ran over 4" where you could see the metal pole. Rather concerning, so that was patched. Unfortunately we were camped on a sandy beach at the time in high winds, and as the only place to camp and it had to be repaired, it has a nice ring of sand around the patch where the glue held the grains. Each patch tells a story, right? In Fort Smith we shall receive in our supplies package that we had sent up by a friend (thanks Mike) which inlcude more glue, so shall add reinforcement strips to the bottom of the canoe. No damage there yet, but am seeing lighter strips on the fabric where it is slowly being worn, so want to protect it.

Continuing to paddle, we moved into the Peace-Athabasca Delta which I believe isthe largest inland Delta in the world, but was not as we expected. We travelled along the main route (Fletcher Channel) before encountering a local guy on a motor boat with 2 dogs (one of his dogs is related to the orange one in Disney’s ‘Snow Dogs’ movie) who advised us to cut across onto the Embarras (another channel of the Athabasca leading to Lake Athabasca) around 15km upriver as it would save us time on the Lake and no-one really takes Fletcher that far up. We thought about it, and after camping where the Fletcher had a channel cutting across found the route would save us over 10km in travel, so took that. Actually, the route that we took, moving along the Fletcher then taking Canoe Portage as it is called onto the Embarras and then up to the Lake also saved us distance and time, so was the best option. It is just not quite as scenic. With the river turning less on the Fletcher, the current is faster and we were keen to get to Fort Chipewyan, the end of the Athabasca Stage and the beginning of Stage III; Slave River and Great Slave Lake. I had expected the Delta to be intricate, connecting channles criss-crossing between swamp, marshland and grassland but was not. The main channels were easy to follow, and the water so shallow there were not many options for us to turn off and get lost, especially with the main channels being so obvious.

It was the day we travelled to Fort Chipewyan (Fort Chip as it is known) and had to cross Lake Athabasca that is most note-worthy for the paddling throughout this last section. It was windy and raining when we awoke and broke camp (packed away). We did not have breakfast, only a chocolate/banana drink that we had rehydrated throughout the night (one of Vicki’s marvellous creations, really delicious) so that we could get to the Lake early. This did not happen, with the river being so slow it took us 3hrs to paddle 15km to the edge of the Lake and the end of the Delta. All my research before the trip had told me that paddler’s should never attempt to cross the Lake under any circumstance, it being so treacherous. Well, thats just what we had to do. In rain and high winds. We had planned to have lunch and then hit the Lake, paddle hard alond the edge moving South-West along the shore, until we could cut across a short gap in front of the drainage into Rivieres des Rochers (when this meets the Peace River, the two rivers merge and become the Slave River) and not have to paddle across open water for more than about 2km. An interesting side note here, if the Peace River is at high flow it can push the Riviers des Rochers backwards, causing it to flow the opposite direction to what is should, back into Lake Athabasca. Thankfully not a problem for us here at the moment. When we emerged from the Delta, we found a passage had been marked by flags indicating the deeper channel for the motor boats that pass through. We constantly tried and tried again to move away from the channel and into the shallows to follow the shore, but it didn’t work. It was so incredibly shallow we couldn’t even get the paddles into the water and kept having to move back into the channel and further out into the lake. Athabasca Lake is 283km long, and 50km across at the widest point. Needless to say when the winds blow, they howl. It is long, and generally follows a diagonal line running from South-West to North-East. On the day we crossed, the wind was coming from the North-East, blowing towards the South-West, so crossing almost the entire Lake before encountering our little boat. By the time we could turn towards shore, were were halfweay across the lake, the full width being around 10km at this point. There is a chain of islands which I was hoping we could move behind and hop between, limiting our time on open water but it took such time to get there. We were having to tack across the Lake (this is where you move with, and then against the wind to travel along, it increases the distance, as you zig-zag along and do not travel in a straight line) to limit the time we broadsided the wind and very high waves, cresting white at the top. We would be lifted high, the stern (back) first, followed by the bow (front), and surged forwards when with the waves. When against, the bow is lifted high and we would crash down into the surf when the canoe reached the tipping point, dropping the bow down and the stern upwards. It was thrilling, a real adrenaline drive as we pushed hard for 2hrs having eaten nothing all day. With the Delta having turned into swamp at the edge of the Lake there was nowhere we could have stopped to eat before meeting the Lake as we had originally planned. It worked, and we arrived in the little, more Northerly boat inlet at Fort Chipewyan a little after 14:00.

We had barely got out the canoe and were trying to straighten our backs when a truck pulling a boat stopped and a local Mikisew (Cree) guy by the name of Robert Grandjambe leapt out shouting ‘you must be the paddlers!’. Well, we had barely said a word before the canoe was on top of the truck, our gear was loaded, and we were on our way to his home to be greeted with freshly brewed coffee. We have stayed with him 2 days, heading off tomorrow to continue our journey. He has been a gracious host, and a great guide to the area with all its complexity and history we could not hope to understand without insider help. He runs a boat-tour in the summer, cabin rental and is the only dog-sled operator in winter here, so a good person to know, and very eager to help in any way he could. We went back out onto the Lake in his motor boat shortly afterwards to collect freshly caught Pickerel from his net which we ate for dinner. To our great entertainment, none of the boats went out beyond the islands along our route as the Lake was so rough that day. We were still coming down from the excitement of the paddle and had a good laugh about that. Instead, we went to the mouth of Rivieres des Rochers for the catch. We did more minor repairs to our gear yesterday, and with Roberts help and his workshop, we have built a rig for a sail which I intent to put up perhaps on the Slave River, but mainly on the Mackenzie River. It would be great if it works! I will be sure to put a picture up of it in action.

We head off towards Fort Smith which we should arrive to in about 1 week, so hope to update again then. The pictures that follow are from the Town of Athabasca, all the way to Fort Chipewyan. There are many, so I hope you enjoy!

Please follow and like us:

Picture Post – Jasper to Town Of Athabasca

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /homepages/20/d164348398/htdocs/vicki/wp-content/plugins/lightbox-gallery/lightbox-gallery.php on line 570

Please follow and like us:

Stage I Complete

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /homepages/20/d164348398/htdocs/vicki/wp-content/plugins/lightbox-gallery/lightbox-gallery.php on line 570

Finished! We completed Stage I at 20:00 on the 30th of April. 4 hours behind our expected schedule.

Our venture towards the glacier began with the long haul from Sunwapta Falls to Athabasca Crossing campsite. A trip of only 15km, but took us 12 hours. We would have been even slower, had we not converted the bag containing the canoe into a make-shift sled and had me pull that rather than carry it. Deep, warm, slushy snow had us snowshoeing at an incredibly slow pace, and rain all day did not help. Just a few km away from our campsite, a large thunderstorm broke in the valley above us, drenching us from head to toe.

We rested the second day to gather our strength and try to dry as much of our clothing and equipment as possible. A tough task as it rained all day again. We could hear the large ice floes in the river cracking, collapsing, and being pushed down the river grinding against each other; a horrible noise as we were hoping to use these to travel for almost the next week.

Pushing on to the glacier, we spent the next 2 days heading South down the Athabasca Valley on snowshoes. There were sections of thick ice on the river which helped us a great deal as we could avoid the dense bush and woodland on the side of the valley and use the river to move along using ice bridges to move between floes. We did spend a great deal of time falling through river edges, creek beds, thin ice and deep snow. On one occasion, whilst breaking trail, Vicki fell through the ice at the edge of an embankment wedging her foot and snowshoe underneath the ice, water and riverbank as the current pushed against it. For some time, her foot was underwater as when I initially moved to help I fell in almost to the same point. Climbing out, I was able to use the snow-shovel to dig out the surrounding snow and reach underwater, finally freeing her foot after some time. It took even more time after that to get the snow-shoe out. All (rather frequent) occurances like this kept our pace slow, our feet soaked and freezing, and our morale a little low.

We camped a little before the glacier as we arrived late and preferred to head there first thing in the morning rather than during a storm at night. A large thunderstorm broke once again above us. Cold air coming down the valley and very warm wind blowing off the glacier (which seemed the wrong way round at the time…) kept the rain coming, the and wind buffeting our tipi for most of the night. Avalanches from the mountainsides around us (some rather disconcertingly close to our site) woke us frequently. The following morning we hiked to the glacier. It had been hard to find water, as the whole area was more of a desert than what I had epected to find. Rocks, more rocks, and a few small spruce trees were all to be found. We arrived at the lake at the bottom of the Columbia Glacier early in the morning. Original plan of swimming in this was quickly cancelled as it was frozen. The view was spectacular; high rock walls to our left with frozen waterfalls cascading down, the glacier appearing to surge into the lake ahead of us, and the high peaks of Mount Columbia and Mount King Edward to our right, with snow and ice of the Columbia Icefields creeping over the edges. It was a great beginning to a very long day.

After the glacier, we hiked (no longer requiring snowshoes; the ice and snow was melting so fast) almost the entire length of the valley to get close to Athabasca Crossing campsite and our canoe. 30km in 12 hours. Unfortunately, with the ice and snow melting so quickly our original route along the river was now impossible; the ice bridges had collapsed into the river, the river had risen, and the snow had melted leaving a quagmire of waterlogged ground along the edge of the river through the dense woodland our only route.

The following day we reached our cached canoe to find the bag we had stored it in had been ripped apart and the paddles toppled. Bear-tracks were found around it and Tallak went crazy each time he smelt the bag. Unbelievably, and amazingly fortunately for us, whilst the bear had ripped apart the bag covering everything, he had left the unbuilt canoe completely intact. This could have ended our trip rather early…


The canoe back to Jasper was fraught with danger, excitement and the occasional sense of impending doom. Rocks jutting out from within the river, rock gardens and rapids around almost every corner, and the obligatory haystacks to keep the water in the canoe were mandatory. For the most part, we negotiated all this very well, the low water level keeping us on the edge of our seats. It took us a total time of 19hrs to canoe from Athabasca Crossing campsite to Jasper; more than double the time it has ever taken us before. It took us over 3 hours just to portage Athabasca Falls. There is a steep canyon section just below the Falls which is a Class III and deservedly so. High haystacks, narrow chutes of fast moving water between canyon walls and rock ledges all create their own challanges. The water was so narrow between canyon walls it was hard to backpaddle enough to slow the boat any, and we ended up rocketing through the canyon until the bow was caught in an Eddy just in front of a large rock. Spinning us completely around and depositing us (almost throwing us out) into a tiny Eddy at the bottom of a sheer rock wall. Thankfully there were some large rocks underwater so I could get into the water and we could turn the canoe around and facing the correct way. Without those rocks under the water I do not know what we would have done. We managed to get out by packpaddling pressed up against the rock wall until we could go no further, pushed out and ferried past the rock and Eddy.


The rest of the canoe to Jasper was almost as eventful, Hardisty Creek, just at the bottom of the canyon was a huge boulder ledge with a powerful creek running into the side of it. With nowhere to run though, we had to heave, push, pull and shove the laden canoe across the slippery rocks and through the deep powerful current before we could put in after in a calm spot. A portage, another 2 sections of rock garden we had to haul the canoe through by Beckers Chalet and we were home, arriving at Old Fort Point on the South Edge of Jasper. Grateful after a long and continuous 10 hours of tough and technical paddling.

Our thanks to Koshi & Mami for waiting so patiently to collect us from Old Fort Point.

Stage I complete. In 2 days we shall put the canoe back in the water at Old Fort Point and continue on our way to the Arctic and Tuktoyaktuk, our final destination.

Please follow and like us:

Final Pre-Trip Camp

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /homepages/20/d164348398/htdocs/vicki/wp-content/plugins/lightbox-gallery/lightbox-gallery.php on line 570

17th Apr We set off in the afternoon from Sunwapta Falls to Big Bend Campsite. The trail was easy and had recently been packed by a skidoo so we made good time. A few snow flurries along the way but nothing major. We set up a nice camp at Big Bend Campsite, which, as always provided us a spectacular view. The pictures show our camp complete with windbreak as the wind at the campground can be vicously windy. Although we snow-shoed out here, no shovelling was required – we were very pleased to find the campground bare of snow.

18th Apr A longer snow-shoe today although much the same as the day before; packed trail by skidoo. After leaving the campground we noticed bear tracks on the trail heading towards our next campsite. These trails continued all the way to Athabasca Crossing campground (9km away) – I didn’t realise bears used the trail system so much! Unfortunately, just over 1km away from the camp the packed skidoo trail ended and we had to battle through deep snow to our knees with almost every step and our waist at times, which was very tiring. Athabasca Crossing campground is still very much in the grip of winter so we had to dig out a campsite. We also tried out some new snow/sand-pegs which worked remarkably well. I had my doubts but was very impressed. The only issue was that at 6am the next morning when we broke camp the snow was frozen so the pegs required some ingenuity to find under the snow and remove. We hiked up towards the glacier a few km to see how hard it will be to get there and were very pleased; with the ice still frozen in place along the river banks walking is easy and hopefully – fingers crossed – this will hold until we get to and return from the glacier. After that, melt away river!

19th Apr We left early in the morning and had an uneventful day. We snowshoed at 4km an hour which I was very pleased with and meant that we were back at Sunwapta Falls early in the afternoon. A great few days; it calmed our nerves and built our confidence with every aspect of our initial weeks’ journey.

Please follow and like us:

Finishing Rations and First paddle

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /homepages/20/d164348398/htdocs/vicki/wp-content/plugins/lightbox-gallery/lightbox-gallery.php on line 570

We finally finished the food preparations. It took us much longer than anticipated but we have learnt a great deal. Preparing and packing everything ourselves is extremely time consuming, but now that it is finished feels very rewarding. We will have earnt every meal! We are now just finishing the drinks. So far, we have prepared a daily pack of food which contains 3 meals and snacks. We also have a weekly bag which contains the drinks and additional snacks that we can look forward to every few days.

The canoe was built and we took to the Athabasca River on the 8th April. It was wonderful to be on the water again after so long – a good time to blow out the cobwebs and get Tallak in the boat for the first time. A marvellous day; very warm with little breeze and plenty of sunshine. Perfect conditions to paddle upstream and down for a few hours whilst admiring how thick the ice along the side of the river still is in places. More and more patches of earth are emerging each time we are now on the water turning the muddy shore into clay, sticking thickly to our boots as we trudge the canoe back and forth from the river.

We now have 11 days to go before the beginning of the Expedition and the pressure is mounting. Last minute excitement and nerves mould together as we frantically make sure all is prepared and ready before we leave – there will be no turning back once on the water. The apartment is covered in boxes of packaged food, the canoe and all the equipment along its side as we practice packing until it will become second nature.

Not long now!


Please follow and like us:

First camp of 2012 – Jan 30th

We decided on Big Bend campsite as our first camp of the year. The idea is to pack a trail to Athabasca Crossing and perhaps beyond to make our Stage I of the Exped a little easier.

It took us 3 hours to traverse 6km! When we arrived to park at Sunwapta Falls there was nothing but a wall of snow where the carpark usually is – 30mins later we had dug out a parking spot and were ready to hit the trail. There was already a track and we were hopeful this would continue for a while but it did not. The trail ended around 300m into the hike so was not too helpful. It has been warm recently so the snow was powder and deep! Even with snowshoes we were sinking up to 4ft with each step. Very tough – really got the legs working.

The weather was great all day which helped and it was quite warm. Once we reached the campsite we spent another 30mins digging down to the ice covering the ground so we could put the tipi up. Once the tipi was up we set up the stove and collected the wood. Unfortunately, I did not set up the stove correctly so it went out like clockwork after 2hrs. A real pain! During the night I eventually gave up relighting it until the morning. We had invested in a pair of sleeping bags that can be zipped together which makes a real difference to the warmth in the bag during colder nights. I believe the temperature was in the range of -10°C to -15°C. Tallak loves the cold so no problems for him.

Big Bend is a wonderful site. Situated at a point where the Athabasca River curves around a piece of land jutting out (where the campsite is) there is a wall of mountains on 2 sides of you and a wonderful view to the front. 3 valleys meet a few km before the campsite which makes the view nothing short of spectacular. The only problem with the site is wind. With 3 valleys all funnelling wind towards you it can get very cold and unpleasant to be outside. A small price to pay.

The following day was again sunny and relatively warm. The hike out was much easier as we had been brutalised packing a trail the day before so could reap the reward today. Only 2hrs for the 6km.

The Athabasca River was completely frozen by the campsite, and we will be camping at Big Bend regularly until the start of the Expedition to keep an eye on the progress of the river and to make sure we can put a canoe on it.

After we drove back to Jasper we had a very healthy and desperately craved for A&W to reward ourselves for the last couple of days’ effort!

Please follow and like us: